Accessibility Emoji

Nathan Galt via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Apr 1 01:20:50 CDT 2018

I predict that these emoji will be extraordinarily popular in insults between gamers on both Twitch and Discord. I’d wager, with suitable metrics available, that using these for insult purposes will be the majority of all accessibility-emoji use worldwide. Expected meanings:

- PERSON WITH WHITE CANE: “the person under discussion didn’t see that guy who killed him/his partner/his whole team”
- DEAF SIGN: “the person under discussion failed to notice an audio cue that would have prevented his/his partner’s/his team’s death(s)”
- PERSON IN MECHANIZED WHEELCHAIR: “the person under discussion failed to properly press keys and move his mouse as he should have and his mechanical failures caused his/his partner’s/his team's death(s)”

I don’t think the cultural impact of these will be as uniformly positive as Apple hopes.