IBM 1620 invalid character symbol

Ken Shirriff via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Sep 27 17:48:17 CDT 2017

More information from Tim Coslet of the Computer History Museum 1620 Team:

The Model I printed a Cyrillic Ж for invalid character codes.
The width of the Cyrillic Ж was narrower than shown at left, so that it
matched the width of other characters the typewriter typed.
The Model II printed a character called "pillow" for invalid character
codes. "Pillow" was a solid black rectangle.

Ken Shirriff (the other Ken)