Normalise Tai Tham or not?

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Oct 10 15:51:55 CDT 2017

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 22:46:20 +0300
Eli Zaretskii via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> > Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 20:00:12 +0100
> > From: Richard Wordingham via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>
> >
> > 4) The pressure on search tools to respect canonical equivalence is
> > now relatively low. Some editors do (e.g. LibreOffice); others
> > don't (e.g Emacs, so far as I am aware).
>
> Emacs lately introduced character-folding in searches, but it's turned
> off by default, as many users objected.

I don't see how that helps with this problem.  If I search for the
Northern Thai word /kin/ with the low tone, which means 'smell', I want
to find it whichever way round SAKOT and TONE-1 are, and I don't want to
find /kin/ with the rising tone, which is implied by having no tone
mark and means 'to eat'.