Feedback on the proposal to change U+FFFD generation when decoding ill-formed UTF-8

Martin J. Dürst via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed May 24 01:46:54 CDT 2017

On 2017/05/24 05:57, Karl Williamson via Unicode wrote:
> On 05/23/2017 12:20 PM, Asmus Freytag (c) via Unicode wrote:

>> Adding a "recommendation" this late in the game is just bad standards
>> policy.

> Unless I misunderstand, you are missing the point.  There is already a
> recommendation listed in TUS,

That's indeed correct.

> and that recommendation appears to have
> been added without much thought.

That's wrong. There was a public review issue with various options and
with feedback, and the recommendation has been implemented and in use
widely (among else, in major programming language and browsers) without
problems for quite some time.

> There is no proposal to add a
> recommendation "this late in the game".

True. The proposal isn't for an addition, it's for a change. The "late
in the game" however, still applies.

Regards,   Martin.