Feedback on the proposal to change U+FFFD generation when decoding ill-formed UTF-8

Shawn Steele via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue May 23 11:20:33 CDT 2017

+ the list, which somehow my reply seems to have lost.

> I may have missed something, but I think nobody actually proposed to change the recommendations into requirements

No thanks, that would be a breaking change for some implementations (like mine) and force them to become non-complying or potentially break customer behavior.

I would prefer that both options be permitted, perhaps with a few words of advantages.

-Shawn