Feedback on the proposal to change U+FFFD generation when decoding ill-formed UTF-8

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed May 17 16:31:42 CDT 2017

On Wed, 17 May 2017 13:41:56 -0700
Doug Ewell via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> Perhaps surprisingly, it's already too late. UTC approved this change
> the day after the proposal was written.
>
> http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2017/17103.htm#151-C19

Approved for Unicode 11.0.  Unicode 10.0 has yet to be released.  The
change may still be rescinded.

There's some sort of rule that proposals should be made seven days in
advance of the meeting.  I can't find it now, so I'm not sure whether
the actual rule was followed, let alone what authority it has.