Feedback on the proposal to change U+FFFD generation when decoding ill-formed UTF-8

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue May 16 16:19:52 CDT 2017

Another alternative for you API is to not return simple integer values, but
return (read-only) instances of a Char32 class whose "scalar" property
would normally be a valid codepoint with scalar value, or whose "string"
property will be the actual character; but with another static property
"isValidScalar" returning "true"; for other ill-formed
sequences,"isValidScalar" will be false, the scalar value will be the
initial code unit from the input (decoded from the internal representation
in tyhe backing store) and the "string" property will be empty. You may
also add a special "Char32" static instance representing
end-of-file/end-of-string, whose property "isEOF" will be true, and
property scalar will be typically -1, "isValid Scalar" will be false, and
the "string" property will be the empty string.

All this is possible independantly of the internal representation made in
the backing store for its own code units (where it may use any extension of
standard UTF's or any data compression scheme without exposing it)