Feedback on the proposal to change U+FFFD generation when decoding ill-formed UTF-8

Alastair Houghton via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue May 16 13:45:01 CDT 2017

On 16 May 2017, at 19:36, Markus Scherer <markus.icu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me try to address some of the issues raised here.

Thanks for jumping in.

The one thing I wanted to ask about was the “without ever restricting trail bytes to less than 80..BF”.  I think that could be misinterpreted; having thought about it some more, I think you mean “considering any trailing byte in the range 80..BF as valid”.  The “less than” threw me the first few times I read it and I started thinking you meant allowing any byte as a trailing byte, which is clearly not right.

Otherwise, I’m happy :-)

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--