Feedback on the proposal to change U+FFFD generation when decoding ill-formed UTF-8

Asmus Freytag via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon May 15 12:52:25 CDT 2017

On 5/15/2017 8:37 AM, Alastair Houghton via Unicode wrote:
> On 15 May 2017, at 11:21, Henri Sivonen via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:
>> In reference to:
>> http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2017/17168-utf-8-recommend.pdf
>>
>> I think Unicode should not adopt the proposed change.
> Disagree.  An over-long UTF-8 sequence is clearly a single error.  Emitting multiple errors there makes no sense.

Changing a specification as fundamental as this is something that should
not be undertaken lightly.

Apparently we have a situation where implementations disagree, and have
done so for a while. This normally means not only that the
implementations differ, but that data exists in both formats.

Even if it were true that all data is only stored in UTF-8, any data
converted from UFT-8 back to UTF-8 going through an interim stage that
requires UTF-8 conversion would then be different based on which
converter is used.

Implementations working in UTF-8 natively would potentially see three
formats:
1) the original ill-formed data
2) data converted with single FFFD
3) data converted with multiple FFFD

These forms cannot be compared for equality by binary matching.

The best that can be done is to convert (1) into one of the other forms
and then compare treating any run of FFFD code points as equal to any
other run, irrespective of length.
(For security-critical applications, the presence of any FFFD should
render the data invalid, so the comparisons we'd be talking about here
would be for general purpose, like search).

Because we've had years of multiple implementations, it would be
expected that copious data exists in all three formats, and that data
will not go away. Changing the specification to pick one of these
formats as solely conformant is IMHO too late.

A./