abstract characters, semantics, meaningful transformations ... Was: Tibetan Paluta

Naena Guru via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue May 2 11:43:18 CDT 2017

Thank you, professor. You wrote exactly what one would expect from a
professor. It is a wonderful display of your prowess in the subject.

Doctors and lawyers use Latin for concealment and self-preservation.
Greenspan used Greenspanish. Unicode masters use Unicodish.

Indic is the name Unicode assigned to South Asian writing systems that
are associated with Sanskrit vyaakaraNa. This is a result of what the
good professor explains by "Unicode is not the realm of everyone; it's
the realm of people with a certain amount of linguistic knowledge and
computer knowledge". What is that 'certain amount' and which deity
decides it? How do we unfortunate nincompoops decode it? Decode itself
is beyond us, indeed.

South Asians, especially Indians who already seem to have too many gods
to deal with, do not need, though they might be tempted to add an image
of the exalted Unicode god behind a colorful curtain to sing praise to
with an alms box marked M$ besides to get favors each time the high
priest scrubs off some of its 'hairy esoteric mess' while
surreptitiously (or, ignorantly?) adding more.

Brahmins were able to make any declaration because they were privileged.
Similarly, Unicode experts can make declarations like, 'very few forms
of writing are direct transcriptions of speech' and hide behind the 'in
case' adjective 'direct' to avoid giving actual data. Of course, they
can boldly count Sinhala as one that is not a direct transcription of
speech. Speech getting transcribed into writing itself is a Unicodish.

Hark! The professor declares. So, boys and girls, if you want to pass
the test memorize this, even if it is obviously false:
Printing made no difference to the fact that English has a dozen vowels
with five letters to write them. The thorn has little impact on the
ambiguity of English writing. The problem with printing is that it
fossilizes the written language, and our spellings have stayed the same
while the pronunciations have changed. And the dissociation of sound and
writing sometimes helps English; even when two English speakers from
different parts of the world would have trouble understanding each
other, writing is usually not so impaired.

It is printing with the dictionary industry that fossilized writing and
as a result, forced speech to comply. The 'certain' level of knowledge
above is now revealed. Language, dialect, creole, migration, intermixing
of different peoples, accent...; where do these stand? Find ye by the
foregoing what the fossil 'ye' actually was and what caused it to get
fossilized in this form.