How to Add Beams to Notes

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon May 1 22:08:27 CDT 2017

Consider also that the BMP is almost full, the remaining few holes are kept
for isolated characters that may be added to existing scripts, or
permanently reserved to avoid clashes with legacy softwares using simple
code remappings between distinct blocks, or to perform simple case
conversions (e.g. in Greek) for internal purposes (these positions are not
interoperable and may clash with future versions of the UCS and I18n
tools/libraries like ICU)

You should abstain using any currently unassigned positions in the existing
Unicode blocks: use PUA if you have nothing else; there are plenty of space
available, in the BMP (most common usage in fonts that need to map
additional glyphs) or in the two last planes. The PUA block in the BMP is
large enough for most apps and almost all fonts that need private glyphs
for internal purposes, or for still unencoded characters or for your own
encoded variants such as slanted symbols, rotated symbols, inverted
symbols, or symbols with multiple sizes, or at different positions on the
musical score, or using distinct styles (e.g. between different players or
singers, or various symbols for percusive instruments or specific
intruments, or extra annotations).

Many new symbols have been encoded first as PUAs in early fonts used to
create proposals (then rendered to a PDF, or embedded fonts in a rich text
document, or webfonts loaded from static versioned URLs on a repository
like GitHub or on a public cloud). Later the proposal passed the early
steps for reviewing the repertoire and choosing more relevant positions,
then characters were encoded and standardized and these fonts were updated
to map their glyphs to not just their existing PUAs but also the nex
standard positions (or encoded variants)