Unicode Emoji 5.0 characters now final

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Thu Mar 30 02:45:34 CDT 2017

> If I made an open-source emoji font that contained flags for all of the
> 5000ish
> ISO 3166-2 codes that actually map to one, would I automatically be
> considered a
> vendor?

Do I need to have to pay 18000(?) dollars a year for full membership
> first? (That's peanuts for multi-billion dollar companies, but
> unaffordable for
> most individuals and many FOSS projects.)

The answer to both of your questions is no.

Please see http://unicode.org/emoji/selection.html#timeline for details.
What the UTC is looking for is commitments from major vendors. It is not
sufficient to join Unicode: we have members who are not major vendors of
emoji. And there are some major vendors that are not members.

Of course, there is some judgment involved as to what constitutes "major":
at one extreme clearly 1B DAUs qualifies, and at the other extreme, 1K
doesn't.

Mark