Unicode Emoji 5.0 characters now final

Rebecca Bettencourt beckiergb at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 16:52:15 CDT 2017

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Christoph Päper <
christoph.paeper at crissov.de> wrote:

> If I made an open-source emoji font that contained flags for all of the
> 5000ish
> ISO 3166-2 codes that actually map to one, would I automatically be
> considered a
> vendor? Do I need to have to pay 18000(?) dollars a year for full
> membership
> first? (That's peanuts for multi-billion dollar companies, but
> unaffordable for
> most individuals and many FOSS projects.)

Those are desired, for sure, but so are emoji flags for Kurdistan,
> Confederated
> States of America, Romani, Oromo, South Vietnam, Esperanto, Anarchy,
> Communism,
> Bisexuality, Transgenderism, Sami, Pan-Africanism, Australian Aboriginals,
> and
> many more. Of these, only the Kurdish and the Sami flag *may* be covered by
> Unicode Emoji 5.0+ (possibly with multiple codes) until yet another
> (Tag-based)
> scheme is adopted.

Heh, I actually started an open-source emoji font that kinda does this:

https://github.com/kreativekorp/vexillo

It encodes not only some subdivision flags using sequences like [usca],
[ustx], and [caqc], but a whole lot of
nowhere-near-standardized-for-encoding flags under the XX code, such as
[xxcascadia], [xxconlangesperanto], [xxpridebisexual], [xxpridetrans], etc.

And hey, it works already in OS X 10.8+ and Firefox, even if it makes text
selection a little dodgy. :)