Unicode Emoji 5.0 characters now final

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Mar 29 15:09:25 CDT 2017

Markus Scherer wrote:

> I think "recommended" could be renamed to "(expected to be) widely
> implemented".

That's a modest improvement; it shifts from an advisory health warning
not to use certain sequences to what it is, speculation that some
sequences will be far better supported in the field than others.

I still don't see why this distinction is necessary. It's not made for
other emoji or non-emoji. I have no fonts for Tai Tham,¹ which has been
in Unicode since 2009, but I don't see any warnings against using Tai
Tham because someone like me might not have a font for it.

¹ No, I'm not looking for one; that isn't the point.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org