Standaridized variation sequences for the Desert alphabet?

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Mar 28 06:33:25 CDT 2017

On 2017/03/28 01:49, Michael Everson wrote:

> Sorry, but typographic control of that sort is grand for typesetting, where you can select ranges of text and language-tag it (assuming your program accepts and supports all the language tags you might need (which they don’t)) and you can select fonts which have all the trickery baked into them (hardly any do) and then… can you use this in file names? In your plain-text databases? In your text messages?

Do you think that the 1855/1859 distinction is needed in file names? In
text messages? It may help in some kinds of databases, but it may also
be possible to just tag each piece of text in the database with "1855"
or "1859" if that distinction is important (e.g. for historical
documents). As far as I understand, we are still looking for actual
texts that use both shapes of the same ligature concurrently.

Regards,   Martin.