Unicode Emoji 5.0 characters now final

Joan Montané joan at montane.cat
Tue Mar 28 04:56:02 CDT 2017

> To add to what Ken and Markus said: like many other identifiers, there are
> a number of different categories.
>
>    1. *Ill-formed: *"$1"
>    2. *Well-formed, but not valid: *"usx". Is *syntactic* according to
>    http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/proposed.html#def_emoji_tag_sequence
>    <http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/proposed.html#def_emoji_tag_sequence>,
>    but is not *valid* according to http://unicode.org/reports/tr5
>    1/proposed.html#valid-emoji-tag-sequences
>    <http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/proposed.html#valid-emoji-tag-sequences>
>    .
>    3. *Valid, but not recommended: "usca". *Corresponds to the valid
>    Unicode subdivision code for California according to
>    http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/proposed.html#valid-emoji-tag-sequences
>    <http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/proposed.html#valid-emoji-tag-sequences>
>    and CLDR, but is not listed in http://unicode.org/Public/emoji/5.0/.
>    4. *Recommended:* "gbsct". Corresponds to the valid Unicode
>    subdivision code for Scotland, and *is* listed in
>    http://unicode.org/Public/emoji/5.0/
>    <http://unicode.org/Public/emoji/5.0/>.
>
>  As Ken says, the terminology is a little bit in flux for term
> 'recommended'. TR51 is still open for comment, although we won't make any
> changes that would invalidate http://unicode.org/Public/emoji/5.0/.

Just two remarks

1st one: point 4 (Unicode subdivision codes listed in emoji Unicode site)
arises something like chicken-egg problem. Vendors don't easily add new
subdivision-flags (because they aren't recommended), and Unicode doesn't
recommend new subdivision flags (because they aren't supported by vendors).

2n one: What about "Adopt a Character" (AKA "Adopt an emoji"). Will be
valid, but not recommended, Unicode subdivisions codes eligible? For
instances, say, could someone adopt California, Texas, Pomerania, or
Catalonia flags?

Regards,
Joan Montané