Unicode Emoji 5.0 characters now final

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Mar 27 17:08:27 CDT 2017

Ken Whistler wrote:

> By the way, if anybody is looking, Pomerania is there: "plpm" among
> the 4925 other valid unicode_subdivision_id values. So:
>
> Flag of Pomerania = 1F3F4 E0070 E006C E0070 E006D E007F
>
> But alas, that is not a *valid* emoji tag sequence (yet), so no soup
> for you!

This is a major letdown, after almost two years following the progress
of flag tag sequences, to find that the arguments that "these three
flags are special because they appear in international sports" have won
the day and the others are demoted to "non-standard." That was never
implied in any of the published UTC documents before.

I've collected well over 800 subdivision flags, and I'm sure there are
hundreds more, each with its own proud constituency. Vendors don't want
to bother adding a glyph for Saskatchewan or Neuquén or Yamagata? They
don't have to; they never had to. But now they're essentially being told
not to.

This was the only aspect of emoji I had the slightest interest in. Boo.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org