Unicode Emoji 5.0 characters now final

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 27 16:32:25 CDT 2017

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 13:34:09 -0700
Ken Whistler <kenwhistler at att.net> wrote:

> And if a flag of
> California (or Pomerania or ...) then gets added to the list of emoji
> tag sequences in a future version of the data, there is a good chance
> that the "users" will then see the difference, because that flag will
> appear on their phones eventually.

Indeed, why isn't the flag of Texas there already so as to terminate
the abuse of <U+1F1E8, U+1F1F1>.  Technically, at least, it has the
justification of being a formerly independent country, though I don't
know that they have any national teams.

Is anyone working on the issue of flags for the whole of Ireland?
Different sports have their own 'national' flags.

Pomerania will be a bit tricky, as it isn't any recent administrative
division.