Standaridized variation sequences for the Desert alphabet?

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Mar 26 08:15:03 CDT 2017

> On 26 Mar 2017, at 09:12, Martin J. Dürst <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
>
>> Thats a good point: any disunification requires showing examples of
>> contrasting uses.
>
> Fully agreed.

The default position is NOT “everything is encoded unified until disunified”. The characters in question have different and undisputed origins, undisputed. We’ve encoded one pair; evidently this pair was deprecated and another pair was devised. The letters wynn and w are also used for the same thing. They too have different origins and are encoded separately. The letters yogh and ezh have different origins and are encoded separately. (These are not perfect analogies, but they are pertinent.)

> We haven't yet heard of any contrasting uses for the letter shapes we are discussing.

Contrasting use is NOT the only criterion we apply when establishing the characterhood of characters. Please try to remember that. (It’s a bit shocking to have to remind people of this.

Michael Everson