Standaridized variation sequences for the Desert alphabet?

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 17:15:28 CDT 2017

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 9:17 AM Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
wrote:

> And we *can* distinguish i and j in that Latin text, because we have
> separate characters encoded for it. And we *have* encoded many other Latin
> ligature-based letters and sigla of various kinds for the representation of
> medieval European texts. Indeed, that’s just a stronger argument for
> distinguishing the ligature-based letters for Deseret, I think.

And I'd argue that a good theoretical model of the Latin script makes ä, ꞛ
and aͤ the same character, distinguished only by the font. This is
complicated by combining characters mostly identified by glyph, and the
fact that while ä and aͤ may be the same character across time, there are
people wanting to distinguish them in the same text today, and in both
cases the theoretical falls to the practical. In this case, there are no
combining character issues and there's nobody needing to use the two forms
in the same text.