Combining solidus above for transcription of poetic meter

Ken Whistler kenwhistler at att.net
Fri Mar 17 14:41:29 CDT 2017

On 3/17/2017 10:27 AM, Julian Bradfield wrote:
> If you're working in a situation where you don't have either markup
> control or the facility to use plain monospaced text, then just use
> normal breves and acutes.
> It's not clear to me that laying out aligned text (for which there are
> many other applications than scansion, e.g. interlinear translation)
> is something best achieved with combining characters!

I concur with Julian here. In fact, the very wiki article on scansion
cited by Rebecca makes it clear that this is an interlinear type of
annotation that in principle can use many *other* symbols, including x's
(or multiplication signs), digits, circumflexes, and other symbols.

Furthermore, the application of the scansion marks is to *syllables* and
not to individual letters, which further enhances the case for
interlinear representation. The simplest implementation of that is
precisely as done in that wiki: force the interlinear examples into a
monospace font.

For simple transposing of an interlinear scansion into a single-line
plain text representation, either combining breves and acutes (and
circumflexes and graves, ...) can be used and/or spacing versions of
breves (and circumflexes...) plus ordinary slashes and backslashes can
be dropped into the syllabified text.

--Ken