"A Programmer's Introduction to Unicode"

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 13 20:56:23 CDT 2017

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 20:20:25 -0400
"Mark E. Shoulson" <mark at kli.org> wrote:

> Sanskrit external vowel sandhi is comparatively
> straightforward (compared to consonant sandhi), and it frequently
> loses information.  A *or* AA plus I is E; A *or* AA plus U is O (you
> need A + O to get AU).

Indeed, E can not only be A or AA plus I or II: it can also be E + A.
In the latter case avagraha is usual, at least in European practice.
(Would that generally be locale sa_Deva_GB?) I'd like advice on modern
Indian practice, and on the spacing and syllable division. I've seen a
claim that avagraha always belongs with the preceding vowel, but I'm
not sure that that rule applies in this case.

In a similar fashion, O can -AS + A-, an interesting case of visarga
sandhi. However, I'm not sure that one would want to *divide* the E or
O.