LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S officially recognized

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Jun 30 12:02:31 CDT 2017

True but this only applies to "simple case mappings" (those in the main
datatase), not to extended mappings (which are locale dependant, such as
mappings for dotted and undotted i in Turkish).

So the extended mappings can perfectly be changed for German: they are not
part of the stability policy and designed to be extensible. And this is
where you find the existing mapping from ß to SS (lossy case conversion),
that will change to ẞ (non lossy case conversion).