LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S officially recognized

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Jul 2 07:49:20 CDT 2017

On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 09:51:00 +0300
"a.lukyanov via Unicode" <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> Is it possible to design fonts that will render ẞ as SS?
>
> So we could choose between ẞ and SS by just selecting the proper
> font, without changing the text itself.
>
> Or perhaps there will be a "font feature" to select this rendering
> within the same font.

I believe this sort of feature is being deprecated.  (The deprecated
features include altv, crcy, dflt, jajp, j0p03, kokr, vivn, zhcn and
zntw). It belongs more in the barely tolerated realm of transliteration
fonts. There are, however, the features cv01 to cv99 that may be used
on a font-by-font basis - a sort of Private Use Area for features.