Pagus symbol

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 28 11:36:50 CST 2017

Other example, same period in Western Russia: the symbol is less
"ideographic" and colored in red, it clearly shows a church bell tower and
a dependant building:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Atlas_Van_der_Hagen-KW1049B10_032-RVSSIAE_Vulgo_MOSCOVIA_dictae,_Pars_Occidentalis.jpeg

Same thing in England

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Atlas_Van_der_Hagen-KW1049B11_004-A_NEW_MAP_OF_THE_KINGDOME_of_ENGLAND,_Representing_the_Princedome_of_WALES,_and_other_PROVINCES,_CITIES,_MARKET_TOWNS,_with_the_ROADS_from_TOWN_to_TOWN.jpeg

Other variant (two towers or high houses):

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Arae_Flaviae_tab_peut.jpg