Encoding West African Adinkra sysmbols

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jan 22 15:31:50 CST 2017

I read that there are similar sets of symbols in Polynesian/Melanesian
cultures. There are possibly others in native Amerindian cultures, often
related to religious features, nature.

These symbols look in fact very similar to the initial creation of our
modern alphabets we all know, just a step behing ideograms as those used in
Mayan, Han, Egyptian and proto-Indo-European scripts, or runes in Europe,
or today's very active creation of emojis and lots of icons and logograms
created everywhere, by the industry and by various standard bodies: they
encode more than just a letter or identifiable word, but instead a
concept/idea which could be "spelled" orally by various sentences in modern
languages. Their properties would be complex to design to to their complex
meaning/associations and usage rules.