Misspelling or Miscoding?

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 19 03:05:29 CST 2017

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 23:52:12 -0800
Garth Wallace <gwalla at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Richard Wordingham <
> richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > When someone enters text with the code points in the wrong order but
> > the text renders to give the appearance that should have been
> > intended, has the typist misspelt, miscoded or what?  I am talking
> > about sequences that are *not* even compatibility equivalent to
> > what should have been entered.
> >
> > Richard.
> >

> You mean like when a font puts combining diacritics over the
> following base character, and people type it in that order so it
> looks right on their screen?

No.  I particularly have in mind Tai Tham script pairs like ᩉᩨ᩠ᨾ /hɯːm/
<HIGH HA, SIGN UUE, SAKOT, MA> (MFL p831) and ᩉ᩠ᨾᩨ /mɯː/ <HIGH HA,
SAKOT, MA, SIGN UUE> (MFL p793), which look identical with a competent
renderer but are sorted differently.  The page references are to a
Northern Thai to Thai dictionary.

ᩛRichard.