Misspelling or Miscoding?

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 19 01:24:21 CST 2017

On 1/18/2017 12:35 PM, Doug Ewell wrote:
> Richard Wordingham wrote:
>
>> I think it is not a 'typographical error' if it renders as it should!
> What if it renders correctly on some systems but not on others?
>
> I do see your point, though. Writing systems that permit different
> spellings of the same glyph (cluster), only one of which is 'correct'
> even after normalization, can be tricky like this. I think this would
> still be a matter of 'misspelling' rather than 'miscoding' because a
> typist should not have to be concerned with character codes per se.

The sequence of character codes isn't necessarily determined by the
typist's choice of keystrokes.

For example, autocorrection and similar support can result in a
substitution of character codes. For scripts with this issue, it would
be useful if such mechanisms were more widespread; effectively
normalizing to a preferred input order.

Arguing over whether this is called mistyping or miscoding or
misspelling is perhaps less helpful than trying to get the word out that
some scripts could strongly benefit from that additional software layer.

A./