Specification of Encoding of Plain Text

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 13 12:19:21 CST 2017

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 10:38:30 +0100
Mark Davis ☕️ <mark at macchiato.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Richard Wordingham <
> richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > Using Script_Extensions to document the international
> > combining characters that are used, for example, with Thai bases
> > could have all sorts of undesirable knock-on effects.

> If you know of combining marks whose scx values should include Thai,
> please let us know.

If you refer to the end of TUS 9.0 Section 16.1 you will find mention
of U+0331 COMBINING MACRON BELOW and U+0303 COMBINING TILDE, which are
thus candidates for scx ∍ Latn.  One might also consider U+0359
COMBINING ASTERISK BELOW; I have seen the combination ช͙ <U+0E0A THAI
CHARACTER CHO CHANG, U+0359> used in a phonetic symbol for English,
representing [ʒ].

As their scx values are 'Inherited', should their values not be treated
as though they already included Thai?  I suppose, though, that they
do not in fact match "p(scx=Thai)".  There does seem to be a view that
scx=inherited is shorthand for some list of European scripts.