Superscript and Subscript Characters in General Use

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Jan 4 18:33:06 CST 2017

Marcel Schneider wrote:

>> I don't understand the relevance to vulgar fractions.
>
> Vulgar fractions represented using super- and subscript digits around
> the FRACTION SLASH U+2044

Don't do that.

The fact that someone, even a Microsoft MVP, posted an article about
this glyph hack does not make it a good idea. It's kind of like making a
grinning frog or caterpillar out of Telugu letters.

> What I complain of as not mentioned in the Standard, is that U+2044
> can be used with superscript and subscript digits, rather than ASCII
> digits.

Almost any character(s) in Unicode "can be" used with almost any other.
You can surround U+2044 with emoji if you like. That doesn't mean you
should.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org