Word_Break for Hieroglyphs

Ken Whistler via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Dec 14 10:27:00 CST 2017

Gentlemen,

On 12/14/2017 6:53 AM, Mark Davis ☕️ via Unicode wrote:
> Thus I would like people who are both knowledgeable about hieroglyphs
> /and/ Unicode properties to weigh in. I know that people like Andrew
> Glass are on this list, who satisfy both criteria.
>> And what constitutes a cluster?

This entire discussion is premature. The model for Egyptian is in flux
right now. What constitutes a "quadrat", which is significantly relevant
to any determination of how other segmentation properties should work
for Egyptian hieroglyphics, will depend on the details of the model and
how quadrat formation interacts with the exact set of format controls
eventually agreed upon. See:

http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2017/17112r-quadrat-encoding.pdf

(And please note that that has a reference list of 13 *other* documents.
This is not simple stuff.)

When we get closure on the Egyptian model, *then* will be the time to
make suggestions for how Egyptian values for GCB, WB, and LB might we
adjusted for possible better default behavior.

--Ken