Armenian Mijaket (Armenian colon)

Ken Whistler via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Dec 5 15:32:56 CST 2017

Asmus,

On 12/5/2017 12:35 PM, Asmus Freytag via Unicode wrote:
> I don't know the history of this particular "unification"

Here are some clues to guide further research on the history.

The annotation in question was added to a draft of the NamesList.txt
file for Unicode 4.1 on October 7, 2003.

The annotation was not yet in the Unicode 4.0 charts, published in
April, 2003.

That should narrow down the search for everybody. I can't find specific
mention of this in the UTC minutes from the relevant 2003 window.

But I strongly suspect that the catalyst for the change was the
discussion that took place regarding PRI #12 re terminal punctuation:

http://www.unicode.org/review/pr-12.html

That document, at least, does mention "Armenian" and U+2024, although
not in the same breath. That PRI was discussed and closed at UTC #96, on
August 25, 2003:

http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2003/03240.htm

I don't find any particular mention of U+2024 in my own notes from that
meeting, so I suspect the proximal cause for the change to the
annotation for U+2024 on October 7 will have to be dug out of an email
archive at some point.

--Ken