Unicode education in Schools

Asmus Freytag via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Aug 24 16:01:52 CDT 2017

On 8/24/2017 10:17 AM, Andre Schappo via Unicode wrote:
> Because there are many systems that can now handle BMP characters but not cannot handle SMP characters.
>
> One example being systems that use mysql utf8 (3 byte encoding) and have not yet updated to utf8mb4 (4 byte encoding)
>
> So, I consider it important to familiarise students with SMP characters as well as BMP characters. Then when they develop software they will, at the start, be thinking beyond ASCII and Unicode BMP characters.

The thinking "beyond BMP" part only comes in when you work in encoding
forms where the BMP uses a different number of code units than the SMP
(or any other non-BMP "page"). This is true for both utf8 and utf16 but
not if you work in utf32 or in scalar values (as in the posted exercise).

The trick with using emoji in this lesson is that the descriptions and
images are meaningful to any English speaker, so it gets the student to
learn about character names.

The same exercise would be more of a challenge for students whose native
tongue is not English.

A./