Tibetan Paluta

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Apr 27 14:00:15 CDT 2017

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:57:55 +0530
Srinidhi A via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> The annotation of 0F85 ྅ TIBETAN MARK PALUTA says it is used for
> avagraha. However it seems this character denotes pluta instead of
> avagraha. Pluta is used for indicating elongation of vowel.
> Similar character with identical glyph is encoded in Soyombo( 11A9D )
> with name as pluta. These characters are likely derive from digit ३
> as ३ is used in Devanagari for indicating pluta.

Avagraha has two rather different uses.  One is to to mark elongation,
which is its primary usage in living languages.  The other is to mark
prodelision, or arguably contraction, as in the Sanskrit sandhi of -e
a- and -o a-.  Max Müller's comments make me wonder if he did much to
popularise (create?) the latter usage.