Go romanize! Re: Counting Devanagari Aksharas

Naena Guru via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Apr 25 11:41:58 CDT 2017

Quote from below:

The word indeed means 'danger' (Pali/Sanskrit _antarāya_).  The
pronunciation is /ʔontʰalaːi/; the Tai languages that use(d) the Tai
Tham script no longer have /r/.  The older sequence /tr/ normally
became /tʰ/ (except in Lao), but the spelling has not been updated - at
least, not amongst the more literate.  The script has a special symbol
for the short vowel /o/, which it shares with the Lao script.  This
symbol is used in writing that word.  Two ways I have seen it spelt,
each with two orthographic syllables, are ᩋᩫ᩠ᨶᨲᩕᩣ᩠ᨿ on-trAy (the second
syllable has two stacks) and ᩋᩫᨶ᩠ᨲᩕᩣ᩠ᨿ o-ntrAy.  I have also seen a
form closer to Pali, namely _antarAy_, written ᩋᨶ᩠ᨲᩁᩂ᩠ᨿ a-nta-rAy.
However, I have seen nothing that shows that I won't encounter
ᩋᩢᨶ᩠ᨲᩁᩣ᩠ᨿ a-nta-rAy with the first vowel written explicitly, or even
ᩋᩢ᩠ᨶᨲᩁᩣ᩠ᨿ an-ta-rAy. How does your scheme distinguish such alternatives?

Response:
Perhaps this word is derived from Sanskrit 'anþaraða'
(Search: antarada at http://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/cgi-bin/tamil/recherche)

Sinhala:anþaraaðaayakayi, anþaraava, anþaraavayi, anþraava, anþraavayi Use this font to read the above Sinhala words: http://smartfonts.net/ttf/aruna.ttf

-=- svasþi siððham! -=-