Counting Devanagari Aksharas

Naena Guru via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Apr 23 14:06:26 CDT 2017

The Unicode approach to Sanskrit and all Indic is flawed. Indic should
not be letter-assembly systems.

Sanskrit vyaakaraNa (grammar) explains the phonemes as the atoms of the
speech. Each writing system then assigns a shape to the phonetically
precise phoneme.

The most technically and grammatically proper solution for Indic is
first to ROMANIZE the group of writing systems at the level of phonemes.
That is, assign romanized shapes to vowels, consonants, prenasals,
post-vowel phonemes (anusvara and visarjaniiya with its allophones) etc.
This approach is similar to how European languages picked up Latin,
improvised the script and even uses Simples and Capitals repertoire.
Romanizing immediately makes typing easier and eliminates sometimes
embarrassing ambiguity in Anglicizing -- you type phonetically on key
layouts close to QWERTY. (Only four positions are different in Romanized
Sinhala layout).

If we drop the capitalizing rules and utilize caps to indicate the
'other' forms of a common letter, we get an intuitively typed system for
each language, and readable too. When this is done carefully, comparing
phoneme sets of the languages, we can reach a common set of
Latin-derived SINGLE-BYTE letters completely covering all phonemes of
all Indic.

Next, each native script can be obtained by making orthographic smart
fonts that display the SBCS codes in the respective shapes of the native
scripts.

I have successfully romanized Sinhala and revived the full repertoire of
Sinhla + Sanskrit orthography losing nothing. Sinhala script is perhaps
the most complex of all Indic because it is used to write both Sanskrit
and Pali.

See this: http://ahangama.com/ (It's all SBCS underneath).
Test here: http://ahangama.com/edit.htm