Counting Devanagari Aksharas

Manish Goregaokar via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Apr 20 13:17:05 CDT 2017

I don't think there's consensus.

When given a rendered representation people seem to uniformly count
conjuncts as multiple aksharas if rendered with visible halant, and as
a single akshara if they are rendered conjoined.

Most fonts for devanagari these days are pretty good at conjoining
consonants. They seem to do so for all common conjuncts, and usually
for most practical (i.e. not ridiculously long) conjuncts. I've never
seen a visible halant in text I've read.

I'm of the opinion that Unicode should start considering devanagari
(and possibly other indic) consonant clusters as single extended
grapheme clusters. Yes, sometimes it's not rendered as a single glyph,
but sometimes family emoji will not render as a single glyph either
(if you use skin tones or more than 4 family members) and we still
consider those EGCs.
-Manish