Eszett variation sequence

MacCampus maccampus at t-online.de
Thu Apr 6 11:04:31 CDT 2017

Actually, the Berlin street signs are well-known cases of using the alternate form of the German sharp s. I personally have never seen a straight y in German usage anywhere else. For me, both cases can sufficiently being taken care of using OpenType features or simply a dedicated font, as is the case with the lettering in Berlin.

The German Wikipedia article on the „ß“ (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ß) names the author of the font (Herbert Thannhäuser); in the English version on the letter, this information is missing. The article dedicated to Herbert Thannhäuser personally (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Thannhaeuser; German Wikipedia only) makes it clear that the font used in Berlin was especially commissioned from him, so it was probably more a one-off design.