PETSCII mapping?

Alastair Houghton alastair at alastairs-place.net
Thu Apr 6 04:09:47 CDT 2017

On 6 Apr 2017, at 08:25, Elias Mårtenson <lokedhs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't it make sense to get in touch with active Commodore 64 communities to find out how people deal with this today? I'm sure there are use cases that none of us have thought about.

Since most of the issue is graphics characters, and since that same problem affects PETSCII, ATASCII, the ZX80 set, and Teletext/Videotex/Viewdata (aka BBC Micro mode 7), would it be better to come up with a complete set of extra graphic characters that need to be encoded, and make it a proposal to “complete the set” of box drawing and graphics characters?  IMO the Teletext set is *much* more important than PETSCII or ATASCII; while there will very likely be text encoded in the latter two, there are significant volumes encoded in the Teletext set.  Quite a bit of data has already been lost (there are mirrors of old Prestel/Viewdata BBS systems, some of which have sadly lost all the graphics because of the lack of equivalent Unicode characters), and a lot of the rest is either encoded in a non-standard encoding or held as screen shots.

Also, it would be worth looking to see if there are any discussions from past attempts to get any of these things into the Unicode standard; I can’t imagine this is the first time anyone’s asked for more graphics characters.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net