Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Apr 5 20:05:50 CDT 2017

On 6 Apr 2017, at 01:54, Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14 at telia.com> wrote:

>>> - some bidi fix [preferably making the box/border drawing characters bidi "L", if possible; otherwise a caveat that if there is an expectation to paste in such a board into an RTL document, bidi controls need be used to LTR the board]).
>>
>> I donąt know if there is a problem here and am not able to offer a solution if there is. I donąt object to a solution, if there is a problem.
>
> I would think

Come on. This is a serious proposal. I’m glad you support it, but if you are going to raise an issue like this, “I would think and guess about a problem” isn’t the same as “I have tried and here’s an actual problem”.

Roozbeh, there’s an issue that might benefit from your expertise. Can you look into it? Discussion needn’t occur here, but offline with Kent and me, if you prefer.

> that anyone pasting a chess board (ŕ la your proposal) to an RTL context will see that something went amiss,

Will they? Why?

> and also know enough about bidi to set the bidi context to LTR for the chess board(s),

RTL users understand the problems of cutting and pasting LTR text and symbols, certainly. LTR users don’t.

> either by some setting, or by inserting bidi control characters.

Well, if there’s a problem it should be well-defined so it can be tackled.

> So a small caveat is all that is necessary. Like: "The chess boards are assumed to be set in a left-to-right bidi context.”

THAT I can put into the document, but since chess is as important in both the RTL and LTR worlds, it would be good to know what’s what.

Thank you again for your thoughtfulness,

Michael