Coloured Punctuation and Annotation

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Apr 5 19:11:09 CDT 2017

On 5 Apr 2017, at 22:48, Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I tried to read it from UTS#51 ‘Unicode Emoji', which is not part of TUS, but I couldn't deduce that a font that enables U+10B99 PSALTER PAHLAVI SECTION MARK to have exactly two (as opposed to none or four) red dots is in breach of the guidelines therein.

Kindly explain how ANY font could do this.

> Are we really going to have to set up Psalter Pahlavi emoji? There's also some encoded Ethiopic punctuation that certainly used to have red dots.

If you want 10B99 to have different coloured dots (the rings? the dots?) the only precedent we have in the UCS is (1) to name a whole glyph with a colour like RED APPLE and then to hatch the glyph in black and white or (2) use the emoji property.

> I think the emoji database has overlooked an entire script of emoji - the Egyptian hieroglyphs!

Put it out of your mind.

Michael Everson