Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Wed Apr 5 15:26:01 CDT 2017

> It’s wonderful that Mr Verdy opposes my proposal. I must be doing
> something right.
>
> On 5 Apr 2017, at 20:13, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com>:
> > For example, where WOMAN ZWJ ROCKET produces a glyph for a LADY
> ASTRONAUT, thus a change of meaning and I think that it went to UTC as
> there was a change of meaning but I am not congruently sure of that..
> >
> > SQUARE ZWJ CHESSPIECE or CHESSPIECE ZWJ SQUARE produces a CHESSPIECE ON
> A SQUARE, thus a change of meaning.
> >
> > You're right here. The absence of ZWJ clearly means separate symbols
> side by side
>
> Wrong. ZWJ has no particular directional semantics.

NO! I did nit give any direction. Direc tion is a separate issue (if you
mean there the Bidi algorithm)

"Side by side" does not prohibit ligatures but this is just like with
letters "side by side" where ordering is defined independantly.

So I maintain what I replied. The **absence** of ZWJ clearly means separate
symbols side by side (minus typographic/styling effects such as joining and
**partial** overlays or kerning: this excludes overlays and complex
ligatures that are in Unicode treated with separate encodings; partial
overlays include kerning, or simple syllabic composition in 2D layouts for
Hangul, Kana/Romaji squares, but excludes complex compositions for
Hanzi/Kanji which are encoded specifically).