Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Mon Apr 3 20:51:57 CDT 2017

Den 2017-04-04 03:12, skrev "Michael Everson" <everson at evertype.com>:

> It *is* important that there be an even number of characters in every row of 8
> squares for fallback display to be better rather than worse, I think.

I agree. (Though *at present*, I happen to get a visible display of the
VSs in the email app, which does not look too good.)

> I found while setting the tables that it was convenient to have to remember
> that every one of the 64 characters had to have VS1 or VS2 along with it.
> Constructing a table from scratch and modifying and existing one both felt
> easier with uniform encoding.

Yes. BUT, I would hope that chess enthusiasts would not have to think much
about the encoding. Either using a special keyboard layout (momentarily) or
using a palette for picking board item by board item seems to be better
options. I'm sure someone will make a browser based chess editor, complete
with suitable palette, and having an empty board pre-edited to start out
(replacing the empty squares as pieces are laid out or moved).

/Kent K