Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Apr 3 19:15:19 CDT 2017

On 4 Apr 2017, at 00:47, Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to work out whether we need a variation sequence for
> "chesspiece in a sentence”.

Of course! Haven’t you ever seen chess problem texts? Check out the Fairy Chess proposal for encoding additional characters. Plenty of examples there.

> We need the advice of someone who's worked on font fallback.
>
> You don't need substitution tables to be executed if your application can just look up glyphs for variation sequences.

That’s the same thing.

sub characterA characterB by glyphC;

It works reliably in a number of environments, though I think some screenshots I sent are in mails which have not got through.

Michael Everson