IJ with accent

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Wed Sep 28 16:22:34 CDT 2016

richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com>:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 12:30:04 -0700
> "Doug Ewell" <doug at ewellic.org> wrote:
>
> > > Technically I see one, as bíj́na shound never break between í and
> > > j́,
> >
> > These wor-
> > ds should not bre-
> > ak at the places wh-
> > ere I have broken t-
> > hem
> >
> > but they don't need embedded control characters to enforce that.
>
> Indeed, there aren't any control characters to control hyphenation.
> Indeed, CGJ between default grapheme clusters is often a very good
> place to hyphenate.

Who told about CGJ ?

But zero-width joiners should prevent such undesired breaking ; the legacy
ZWNBSP however does not suggest any ligature but instead will prevent it,
by only gluing two grapheme clusters side by side (with just kerning
enabled), but without altering these glyphs (like in the capital IJ
ligature whose I is shortened and placed on top of the left arm of the J
when using ligaturing joiners).

In South-Est Asian scripts there are such cases to create complex clusters
that also carry semantic distinctions and layout restrictions. the "default
grapheme clusters" may not include these complex clusters, but the later
are needed. The rules about "default grapheme clusters" are only good for
simpler cases where no ligaturing is involved and you don't really care
about specific languages (even fonts contain specific data for specific
languages, independantly of the script represented).