IJ with accent

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Wed Sep 28 11:16:27 CDT 2016

There's a double acute accent which you could use on the ij ligature. But
it causes search problems when the ij ligature is separable, giving <i>then
<j,double acute> (the double acute accent is not decomposable).

My opinion is to put an accent on each letter and join them with a joiner,
either as <i,acute,ZWJ,j,acute>, or <i with acute,ZWJ,j with acute> (which
works with canonical equivalences, collations, and should work in rederings
to instruct their ligature and the absence of syllable break between both
letters, just like <i,ZWJ,j> should render like <ij> to produce the same
unbreakable ligature.