Dataset for all ISO639 code sorted by country/territory?

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Sep 20 11:34:25 CDT 2016

Mats Blakstad wrote:

> Is there any dataset that contains all languages in the world sorted
> by country/territory?

As others have pointed out, be careful about how slippery this slope can
get. Everyone has his or her own opinion about how many speakers of
Language X in country Y need to be identified, estimated, or conjectured
in order to say that "language X is spoken in country Y."

> I manage to find a dataset on the website of Ethnologue, though it
> doesn't look like open source, need to check with them exactly how I'm
> allowed to use it:
> http://www.ethnologue.com/codes/download-code-tables

The readme file included in the downloadable zip file makes SIL's terms
very clear. Basically you need to credit SIL as the source of the data,
not change it, and not make the data directly available for others to
download. It's best not to get caught up in "open source" as if any
other terms would make the data totally unusable.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org