graphemes (was: "textels")

Dalley Mark (South West Commissioning Support) Mark.Dalley at swcsu.nhs.uk
Mon Sep 19 03:45:56 CDT 2016

I think the key phrase is "user-perceived". And you don't need to involve complex scripts either.

For instance as an English-speaking person, I would perceive the "æ" in "encyclopædia" as being two characters (albeit shoved together somewhat). The argument for this is that the word can equally well be rendered as "encyclopaedia".

A Danish or Norwegian speaker, on the other hand, would perceive "æ" (as in "ære" or "æsj!") as being a single indivisible character.

Mark Dalley