Missing block element characters

eduardo marin nobody_uses at outlook.com
Thu Sep 1 23:39:53 CDT 2016

It has come to my attention that there are four semi-graphics characters from the ZX-81 character set that are currently un-encoded: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ZX81.chars.00-0A.80-8A.png

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ZX81.chars.00-0A.80-8A.png]the last four characters on the right of which I propose the following names: UPPER HALF BLOCK MEDIUM SHADE, LOWER HALF BLOCK MEDIUM SHADE, FULL BLOCK-UPPER HALF MEDIUM SHADE and FULL BLOCK-LOWER HALF MEDIUM SHADE. I recommend encoding them in the Miscellaneous Symbols and Arrows block or in the Geometric Shapes Extended block.

While a compelling reason for encoding is completing this obsolete character set (allowing for emulation) a much more convincing case (in my opinion) is the fact that it allows for greater artistic freedom for anybody decorating their text with Unicode or even creating illustrations: https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=utf-8+art&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi406KI4-_OAhVL7SYKHdxfAUsQ_AUICCgB#imgrc=X9T-ssHdaBoJoM%3A

The second argument implies also encoding the vertical counterparts of these characters and many more variants of block elements with half shading, but a proposal just for these four is a great start before considering and measuring the artistic implications.

Another set of missing characters for Atari ST emulation are ATARI LOGO LEFT HALF, ATARI LOGO RIGHT HALF, SMILING MAN WITH PIPE UPPER LEFT, SMILING MAN WITH PIPE UPPER RIGHT, SMILING MAN WITH PIPE LOWER LEFT and SMILING MAN WITH PIPE LOWER RIGHT. These characters are much more objectionable due to their specificity and possible trademark issues (although unlikely), the set of digits represented as if they were in an seven segment display, could be considered a font variation there is also what appears to be a negative diagonal and lozenge, and those are even weirder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_ST_character_set

Atari ST character set - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_ST_character_set>