Amiguity(?) in Sinhala named sequences

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 14 13:09:28 CDT 2016

This is an interesting question.

It seems the task of parsing a text into sequences depends on the
purpose. Not all sequences of interest are named and, in the general
case, not all attempts at parsing may be unique. In this case, it looks
like the named sequences would correspond to a specific (ligated) glyph
that matches a user-perceived unit of the writing system.

Such a parsing task is akin to scanning, for example, strings using the
Latin script for ligatures - while trying to emulate the rules that were
in effect during days of hot metal typesetting for certain languages.
For example, it wasn't enough to know that a certain cluster of letters
might have a ligature glyph, one would also have to know whether the
cluster straddled a (compound) word boundary or not. Just knowing the
specification of ligated sequences alone would not be enough to identify
a correct parse.

Such rules, however, are usually not part of the Unicode standard.

The situation here is similar; the standard simply specifies that a
certain sequence of code points has a collective name. In case of
ambiguities, you'll have to turn to external sources to resolve them.

Now, if this isthe only such ambiguity (or one of a very small number)
and if identification of the correct sequence is essential for selecting
the correct rendering, I don't see why the script description for
Sinhala couldn't be augmented to discuss that issue.

In which case, the way to proceed is to assemble the full set of facts
and submit them to the UTC using the reporting form on the website.

A./